Mr. Bell is a graduate of Dartmouth College (A.B., 1961) and Duke University(LL.B.,). From 1974 until 1988, Mr. Bell represented Volusia County in the Florida House of Representatives, where he rose to prominent leadership positions. He served as Majority Leader, Chairman of the Rules Committee, Chairman of the Commerce Committee and was twice Chairman of the Appropriations Committee. He was named the most respected member of the House by his colleagues. Mr. Bell is with the law firm of Buchanan, Ingersoll and Rooney. Mr. Bell is the former Chairman of the Advisory Board of the Institute for Child Health Policy at the University of Florida, Chairman of the Advisory Board for the College of Public Health at the University of South Florida, and member of the Board of the Children’s Home Society of Florida, a member of the Board of Directors of Brown and Brown Insurance Company and the Board of Pioneer Technology, Inc. He is also on the Board of WUSF radio and TV.. Mr. Bell served as President of the Florida Public Health Foundation until it merged with the Florida Institute of Health Innovation.In both his law practice and his legislative career, Mr. Bell has maintained a strong interest in health care matters.
- SERVED 14 YEARS IN THE FLORIDA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES.
- SELECTED BY HOUSE COLLEAGUES AS THE MOST RESPECTED MEMBER OF THE HOUSE.
- SELECTED BY A PANEL OF LEGISLATIVE OBSERVERS COMMISSIONED BY THE MIAMI HERALD AS THE OUTSTANDING MEMBER OF THE HOUSE.
- SERVED AS HOUSE MAJORITY LEADER AND AS CHAIRMAN OF THE RULES COMMITTEE, THE COMMERCE COMMITTEE AND THE APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE.
- LIFE MEMBER OF BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF THE ATLANTIC CENTER FOR THE ARTS.
- MEMBER OF THE FLORIDA ADVISORY COUNCIL FOR THE TRUST FOR PUBLIC LAND.
- FORMER MEMBER OF THE BOARD OF FLORIDA HOUSE.
- RECIPIENT OF THE DAYTONA BEACH JAYCEES GOOD GOVERNMENT AWARD, 1979.
- FORMER CHAIRMAN, ADVISORY BOARD – INSTITUTE FOR CHILD HEALTH POLICY.
- CHAIRMAN, DEVELOPMENT COUNCIL, COLLEGE OF PUBLIC HEALTH, UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA.
- FORMER CHAIRMAN, COMMISSION ON LOCAL GOVERNMENT II.
- PRESIDENT OF THE FLORIDA PUBLIC HEALTH FOUNDATION.
- MEMBER OF STATE BOARD OF CHILDREN’S HOME SOCIETY.
- ATTORNEY, PENNINGTON MOORE WILKINSON BELL & DUNBAR, P.A.
- BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF BROWN & BROWN, INC.
- BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF FOOD TECHNOLOGY SERVICES, INC.
- PUBLIC SCHOOLS IN WEST VIRGINIA AND FLORIDA.
- RECEIVED AB DEGREE FROM DARTMOUTH COLLEGE IN 1961.
- RECEIVED LLB FROM DUKE UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW IN 1964.
- THREE SONS AND FOUR GRANDCHILDREN
- MARRIED TO BETTY CASTOR
CHILDREN’S LEGISLATIVE PACKAGE:
- REGIONAL PERINATAL PROGRAM
- INFANT METABOLIC SCREENING
- SUBSIDIZED ADOPTION FOR SPECIAL NEEDS CHILDREN
- REGIONAL NEONATAL INTENSIVE CARE
- BABIES INSURANCE
- DIABETES RESEARCH AND EDUCATION CENTERS
- PRIMARY EDUCATION PROGRAM
- BILL OF RIGHTS OF RETARDED PERSONS
- BABIES INSURANCE LAW
- SCOLIOSIS SCREENING PROGRAM
- PROGRAM OFFICE FOR CHILDREN AND YOUTH
- TEMPERATURE CONTROL – HOME HOT WATER HEATERS
- CHILD ABUSE
- JUVENILE JUSTICE ADVOCACY
- CHILDREN’S MEDICAL SERVICES
- CANCER AND CONTROL RESEARCH
- SCHOOL HEALTH SERVICE
- CREATION OF HEALTHY KIDS
- CHILD RESTRAINTS
- INSTITUTE FOR CHILD HEALTH POLICY
- CREATED COLLEGE OF PUBLIC HEALTH
- FUNDING FOR COLLEGE OF PUBLIC HEALTH BUILDING